Sep 6, 2010
Okay, so maybe it’s only perfect to me. But either way, it’s pretty darn tasty! The other night I was feeling a little “Christmasy” – it was really chilly here, and I wanted something warm, and I just had an urge for a chai latte! But I’d never made a chai latte. So I set out to make my own version of it. And I’ve been pleasantly surprised!! Here is my simple recipe (I don’t even know if it could really be called a recipe…) for a chai latte for 1:
1. Take one chai tea bag (any brand) or enough loose leaf chai tea for one person. If you’re using a tea bag, run it under water for a couple of seconds just to dampen it.
2. Place the tea bag (or loose leaf tea) in a small pot. If you’re using loose tea, you might want to put it in a tea ball unless you like flakes of tea floating around…to each his own!
3. Pour 1 cup of coconut milk (I don’t use regular milk in my house…and I like the thickness of coconut milk, but if you want you can use regular milk, soy milk, almond milk, etc.) into the pot. If you like your lattes thick, then add another 1/2 cup of coconut milk. If not, add 1/4-1/2 cup of water. Just go based on feel for you at this point.
4. Add 1 tbsp. of honey to the pot (you might want to add more at the end – it’s more of a personal preference thing!).
5. Turn on the stove at about medium heat and stir it every so often so the milk doesn’t catch, and so the tea loosens and turns the milk a light brown colour. Wait until you see just a few bubbles, and then you’re ready to pour it into your mug. If you want it to steep further, pour the tea bag into the mug with it like I do!
6. Enjoy! Oh, and if you want to get all fancy, go ahead and top it with some whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon! But I haven’t gotten that crazy yet. :)